Support Has Moved!

Please post all new questions on the new support system

Before posting a discussion topic, be sure to check out our Forum Rules and Support Policy.

Get design feedback and approval with our newest WordPress plugin, ProjectHuddle. Check it out →

Latest Struck Version is 1.06

Latest GridStack Version is 1.1

Latest Edition Version is 1.6

Latest District Version is 1.2.6

Latest ExtraNews Version is 1.4.9

Latest Aware Version is 1.4

Latest BigFormat Version is 1.4

Latest Bookcase Version is 1.54

Latest Ellipsis Version is 1.5

Google Chrome Making Bold Font Fuzzy?

WPDragon

20 Jan, 2014 04:21 AM

Hmm, this is kindda strange - and I don't believe I did anything to the CSS for this to occur....For some reason only on Google Chrome, the theme is showing any Font that is Bold, as fuzzy & blurry.....I looked on Firefox, and it seems to look perfectly fine, as it always has.

I tried to change the font in the Theme Options, but it still looks blurry & fuzzy....It seems this is only affecting parts of the theme that has the font in bold.

This just suddenly happened, without any change to the font in CSS....and it only seems to be occurring on Google Chrome.

I tried to find a way to resolve it, but have had no luck....not sure if hopefully this is something your familiar with...I appreciate it.

Thanks!

1. 1 Posted by jaycer on 20 Jan, 2014 07:49 AM

I have the same problem... Seems to be the case with some of your other themes as well? Maybe an update to Chrome which is causing this?

2. 2 Posted by Eric Schmidt on 20 Jan, 2014 03:06 PM

Hi,

Do you have a live URL I can see? It might depend on the font you're using, but it sounds like the bold font-weight may not be loading. When only the regular font weight loads, the browser will then try to bold it itself, with varying results. Which is why it could look good in one browser but not another.

Eric

3. 3 Posted by WPDragon on 20 Jan, 2014 03:44 PM

Unfortunately, i'm still working locally on this site....im behind schedule with launching it...But the font that I am using is Droid Sans (bold).....also the same is happening to the Font on The Widgets...which I have using PT Sans Narrow (bold).

It seems that the basic fonts like Arial, Georgia, Tahoma, Verdana, Helvetica work fine with Bold on Google Chrome...but, any other font listed from the "Theme Options" has issues when Bold is set.

4. 4 Posted by Eric Schmidt on 21 Jan, 2014 02:43 PM

Hi,

I'll need to check with Andre to see if we can switch up the font function so that the font weights are loading correctly. In the meantime, you can edit your header.php file or create a new version of that file in a Child Theme. Inside the google fonts script, you can edit it to load both the normal and bold weights. So for the navigation font change this...

echo (function_exists('ag_is_default')) ? ag_is_default($sf_font['face']) .  $cyrillic_suffix : $sf_font['face'] . $cyrillic_suffix;

to this...

echo (function_exists('ag_is_default')) ? ag_is_default($sf_font['face']) . ':400,700' . $cyrillic_suffix : $sf_font['face'] . $cyrillic_suffix;

Eric

5. 5 Posted by WPDragon on 22 Jan, 2014 05:04 AM

Thanks Eric. I appreciate it.

6. Eric Schmidt closed this discussion on 22 Jan, 2014 03:23 PM.

7. jaycer re-opened this discussion on 23 Jan, 2014 07:44 AM

8. 6 Posted by jaycer on 23 Jan, 2014 07:44 AM

Hello,

I made the change but the problem remains with the Google Chrome browser...

http://www.hdboksi.fi/

Any ideas...?

9. 7 Posted by Eric Schmidt on 23 Jan, 2014 03:34 PM

Hi,

It looks like your menu text is set to use the normal font weight. Is that the text you're referring too? Or something else?

Eric

10. 8 Posted by futnsoccer on 28 Jan, 2014 01:13 AM

Hi, having exact same problem on chrome, and I have visited several other sites with the ExtraNews them and the same issue of the blurry bold font on chrome.

11. 9 Posted by jaycer on 28 Jan, 2014 06:07 AM

I attached a picture of the situation. You can clearly see a pretty significant difference in how the font is rendered with the two browsers. This situation is new and the fonts used to be much sharper on the Chrome browser...

12. 10 Posted by Eric Schmidt on 28 Jan, 2014 04:05 PM

Hi,

You can make the edit I suggest to header.php to the other font areas as well. So to allow bold font weights to headings, you'd update the line for of_heading_font to this to add the 700 font weight...

echo (function_exists('ag_is_default')) ? ag_is_default($slide_header['face']) . ':400,700' . $cyrillic_suffix : $slide_header['face'] . $cyrillic_suffix;

We will work to get this addressed in a future update of the theme so edits like this aren't required.

Eric

13. Eric Schmidt closed this discussion on 28 Jan, 2014 04:05 PM.

14. futnsoccer re-opened this discussion on 28 Jan, 2014 05:35 PM

15. 11 Posted by futnsoccer on 28 Jan, 2014 05:35 PM

Eric,

Just wanted to give my 2 cents, I ad the blurry bold problem on Chrome, not only on ny site, but on any other site running the ExtraNews theme. This morning (after a windows pc update), all the sites that run ExtraNews that I usually visit now look normal on Chrome again. Maybe it has to do with a Chrome updated, rather than the sites themselves?

16. 12 Posted by Eric Schmidt on 29 Jan, 2014 03:49 PM

Hi,

As I mentioned earlier in the thread, the theme doesn't currently load in the bold font weights from Google. So when you set the font to bold, the browser will add it's own bolding to the text. This can vary from browser to browser, so it's possible that Chrome improved or changed they way they do this.

Eric

17. System closed this discussion on 12 Feb, 2014 03:53 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac